Still close, as in previous day, last screen. FARROW looking at LIGHT. A pregnant moment. LIGHT is as before, earnest, helpful, honest.
FARROW might be a little suspcious.
1. FARROW: Do they?
2. LIGHT: What my sister heard, Mister Farrow, sir.
FARROW has straightened up. He’s decided.
LIGHT is looking a little relieved, now that FARROW isn’t looking at him.
3. FARROW: And Payne would do it without me, would he?
4. FARROW: Take the ship and the map and leave me holding my hat in hand.
FARROW flips two gold coins to LIGHT, who catches them, surprised.
5. FARROW: Well done, boy.
6. FARROW: Now vanish yourself before questions are asked…
LIGHT watching FARROW leave the alley.
7. FARROW/small: …I have preparations to make for tonight….
On LIGHT, looking after Farrow. His expression is now quite serious. Did he buy it?
STONE is entering the panel from above, hanging upside down.
1. STONE: He bought the bit?
2. LIGHT: Reckon.
LIGHT looking at STONE, who is hanging upside down, looking at him, trying not to burst out
3. STONE: “Reckon?” Haw!
4. LIGHT: It’s a perfectly proper word.
5. STONE: Proper said by a Tanitin man.
LIGHT turning away from STONE, a slight, secret smile.
6. STONE: Which of you aren’t!
7. LIGHT: Not as yet, maybe…
LIGHT has pulled back his jacket — the opposite side from where he was showing the map tube to Farrow earlier, please! — to reveal…
DRAKE’S MARSHAL’S BADGE.
8. LIGHT: …but I’m working on it….
END CHAPTER 12 (FINALLY!)