DRAKE and SABRE. Focused on one another. There’s hard negotiating going on beneath the lightness of the words.
1. DRAKE: Ain’t never found peace in ignorance.
2. SABRE: Make an exception just this once.
3. DRAKE: Can’t.
4. SABRE: The Smoke.
DRAKE looks to DRUM. Exchanging looks. It’s what they suspected. Neither is happy.
1. SABRE: So, with respect, I offer the following.
Reverse, so past DRAKE and DRUM, now looking back to SABRE.
She’s more serious. She’s warning them – not threatening, warning.
2. SABRE: You’re out of your depth.
3. SABRE: You’ve no idea what you hold.
4. SABRE: You’re lucky to still be alive…
DRAKE and DRUM, listening. DRAKE is frowning. DRUM… is being DRUM.
5. SABRE/off: …and if you’d kindly hand over the key, I’ll happily put you ashore
and we can all go our separate ways.
DRAKE extends a hand to DRUM, palm up, as DRUM begins to take the KEY from where its hanging on the cord around his neck.